If you’re looking for a smoothie that packs a serious protein and nutrient punch, but tastes like a chocolate milkshake, then the Wake Me Up smoothie is for you! It is delicious, healthy, energizing, and packed with protein, fiber and a whole bunch of other vitamins and nutrients – what a perfect way to start your day!
SPREAD THE LOVE
The Ultimate Breakfast Smoothie
What better way to start your day than with a delicious, deceptively healthy, and super simple breakfast? Having tried dozens upon dozens of smoothies, this is by far my absolute favourite breakfast smoothie. Just think of where chocolate milkshake meets cappuccino.
The beautiful thing about the Wake Me Up smoothie is that it has everything you could want in a complete breakfast. It is delicious, healthy, energizing, and packed with protein, fiber and a whole bunch of other vitamins and nutrients. Seriously, what better way to start your day?Jump to Recipe
To make this smoothie recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see full recipe below):
- Banana: Fresh bananas are amazing, but you can always use sliced frozen bananas if more convenient. Just omit some ice to balance it out.
- Cocoa powder: Just plain ol’ unsweetened cocoa powder. This will give the smoothie a delicious chocolaty taste!
- Coffee: Fresh-brewed coffee (or espresso). However instant coffee works great, especially if you’re a bit lazy like me. Just add in an equivalent amount of milk or water.
- Dates: Delicious and packed with protein and fiber.
- Nut butter: I love almond butter, but seriously, any nut butter will work great!
- Milk: Any type of milk will work for this recipe — cow’s milk, almond milk, oat milk, you name it. I prefer unsweetened vanilla almond milk because it is vegan and helps cut down on the liquid calories.
- Ice: However much is needed to achieve your desired smoothie consistency.
How To Make It
This delicious smoothie recipe couldn’t be easier! Simply…
- Combine ingredients. Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender (Love my Vitamix Explorian Blender).
- Blend. Pulse until smooth. (If your smoothie seems a bit too thin, you can add in some more ice, banana or dates. If your smoothie seems too thick, add in a bit of extra milk or water).
- Serve. Pour the smoothie into a large blender bottle, or several smaller serving glasses…and enjoy!
- For an extra-special touch you can drizzle a little bit of almond butter or chocolate across the top… just don’t get too carried away with these extra tasty calories!
As with all smoothies, this one is pretty flexible and forgiving. You don’t have to be exact, and it is easy to sneak in various fruits and veggies. So please feel free to experiment and make this recipe your own! Here are some of my favourite smoothie boosters:
- Greens: Smoothies are the perfect way to hide greens in your food. Feel free to throw in a handful of baby spinach or kale to boost the vitamin intake.
- Fruit: Don’t hesitate to sneak in a few of your other favourite fruits as well. Just make sure to start small and work your way up so as not to drown out the core flavours.
- Vanilla: Feel free to add a little bit of vanilla extract, it pairs well with chocolate and coffee!
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt is a fantastic way to add a bit of extra protein and make your smoothie wonderfully creamy! Add in about a 1/2 cup.
- Nut Butters: Experiment with what tastes best to you. You can try peanut, almond, cashew, etc. Seriously, the sky’s the limit here.
- Powders: If you’re into powders, you can also add a scoop of protein powder, acai powder or maca powder. Just start small because the flavours here can be quite overpowering.
- Seeds: I also typically add in at least a spoonful of either chia seeds, hemp seeds or ground flax seeds (or a mixture of all 3).
- Salt: Wait, what?? Don’t knock it till you try it! Start with just a small pinch of coarse salt.
More Delicious Smoothie Recipes
In case you want to try something new, you can switch things up and try on of these 20+ smoothies!
Wake Me Up Smoothie
- 1x Blender
- 1 Large banana
- 6 Pitted dates
- 1 1/4 cups Unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp Almond butter
- 1 tbsp 100% Pure cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Brewed Coffee, cooled
- Ice (add until desired consistency is achieved)
- Combine all ingredients into a blender
- Blend on high for 45-60 seconds
- Pour the smoothie into a large jug (or multiple smaller cups)
- Enjoy your delicious, refreshing and energizing breakfast smoothie!